Best way to make a country border?

I’ve tried two ways to make country borders but I don’t think I’m on the right track.

What I’d like to do is simply draw a border on the edge of a hex to show there’s a country border, I could also use it to create rivers. Anyway I need to draw individual sides or in some cases two or three sides of a hex.

I’ve tried creating individual tiles for all the sides of a hex but that didn’t work. I tried using terrain to “highlight” just the part of the hex I need but that didn’t work either. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

You’d probably want to place the tiles with the border in a separate layer, so that they can be combined with whatever terrain is below.

Also, if the border is exactly in between the tiles, you only need edge tiles for three adjacent borders since for the other three you’d place a border tile next to it. This essentially means you need 2^3 = 8 different border tiles (actually 7, since one will be an empty tile).

Unfortunately, it will be a little complicated to make sure to place those tiles correctly, given that there is no tool that can help you with it. Later this year I hope to make Tiled scriptable, in which case it would be possible to write a custom tool that can be used to paint countries and knows where to place your border tiles.

Ok thanks. I did the individual side thing but it didn’t look right.
I think what I’ll do is ust different colored tiles to represent the
countries, I don’t have that many.