This week I started spending two full days on Tiled! Unfortunately, it was a bad timing because shortly after I got sick. But, I’m finally recovered now so here’s the update!
Most of this day I was working to add configuration options for the theme changes I had started last time, and to clean up the “Tiled Fusion” theme and palette changes before pushing them to the master branch. Here’s the new Theme tab in the Preferences:
Also, I’ve now used the “dark” palette color for the map view background (c5166190), which will generally fit in better than the plain gray used before.
I also fixed the tile index adjustment when tileset images changes width (#1242). After that, there was unfortunately no time left to push the 0.16.2 release, but I pushed the
In the morning I released Tiled 0.16.2, with quite a few fixes. I also updated the NEWS.md and realized it may be time for a Tiled 0.17 soon, given the number of improvements made on the master branch in the meantime.
My focus in the afternoon was to get back to the
wip/tilesetdocument branch and see what things I could fix in order to eventually merge this branch to master. I repaired the layer combo box, the restoring of editor views, the status bar messages and fixed the enabled state of the property browser. However, it was also clear to me, that this branch represents such a big additional change that I should release a Tiled 0.17 before merging it to master.
There are also some workflow questions still open for that branch, and I may end up adding support for projects to solve some things, like tileset management.
Week 28 and 29
Kids Sick, I Sick
First my kids were not feeling well and by Saturday I was sick myself as well. Unfortunately, this affected my ability to work on Tiled on Sunday 10th and Monday 11th. I was able to do only minor changes like some documentation changes and fixing a bug to keep tile animation synchronized (#1288).
It took a long time to recover (I’m still having an annoying cough) so also Sunday 17th and Monday 18th were not the best days, at which point I was also suffering from back pains (which usually happens after a period of being weak, but still carrying my children around).
Defold Export Plugin
Sunday 17th a pull request was opened by @kekdck to add a plugin for exporting a map to Defold. I think this is very interesting since Defold is quite a popular 2D engine. Though it does come with its own editor, its tilemap editing capabilities are really primitive.
I spent some time testing the plugin with Defold and then cleaned up and merged the pull request. I think it’s a good start, but I hope we can achieve better integration later on. Of course, a challenge is that the Defold data structures do not match well with the way Tiled is set up (and long-term, I need to consider how to make Tiled’s data structures more flexible).
More Work on the Theme
Monday 18th I resumed work on the “Tiled Fusion” theme (maybe I’ll still find a better name for this), because I want it to look great when I release Tiled 0.17. I tweaked the margins of the menu bar and the size of item view items. And I spent most of the remaining time trying to improve the look of the tabs, but I didn’t manage to get it to a state I was happy with yet.
Added a Getting Started section to the manual
It’s not a lot, but now there is at least a short section in the manual about the initial steps required to get started with Tiled.
So now that I’m healthy again, and with Tiled 0.16.2 out and the dark theme on master, my priorities are:
- String Freeze for Tiled 0.17 (some urgent issues will still require text changes, so they should go in first).
- Polishing of the new theme (to the point where it can be the default on Windows and Linux).
- Continue work on the improved external tileset handling.
Next week I’m visiting my mother in law and my own parents with my family, but first I’ll have another day working on Tiled upcoming Monday (hopefully getting to the String Freeze). Then, I’ll be back on Tiled the second week of August!