Simultaneous rule execution in auto mapping

Hello everyone,

I am new to Tiled, and have been trying to get it to work with my team’s tile set. Unfortunately our tiles don’t work well with terrains, so I’ve been trying to use auto mapping to speed up the workflow. Basically, I just want to paint a map using our 3 basic tiles (dirt, stone, and grass), and then use rules to convert all appropriate tiles to their appropriate transition tiles. This doesn’t work though, because the rules don’t execute simultaneously.

Is there any way to use auto mapping where all rules are executed at the same time (all change are made to the map in one pass, not one rule at a time).

Best,
Gerald

There is currently no way to do that, and I’m not sure if it would work well in practice. Even if you could get it to apply all matching rules at the same time, what about making further edits to your map? Then you would run into the same problem, right?

The expected approach in this case is to set up separate input and output layers. So you have one layer upon which you use the tiles that define the terrain type, and another layer on which your automapping rules would place all the transition tiles that make it look nice.

Thanks Bjorn, I hadn’t thought of doing it that way! This solved my problem.

1 Like