Moving Into My Own Office
On Friday I moved my PC into my new office. It turned out that no internet was available yet so I quickly requested this, and I was glad to hear it was made available that evening. Here’s an impression of my new place to work on Tiled, after rearranging the furniture to my liking and connecting everything:
As you can see, I even have a fridge to keep the beverages cool (for now, since it’s not my fridge).
Of course, this move from my previous spot in the bedroom into a decent office room is only possible because of all of you who support Tiled financially, and I greatly appreciate that! I think it will be really worth it, especially since I plan to soon start working 2 full days/week on Tiled (hopefully in two months).
On Sunday I entered the almost completely deserted office building and started working on moving the editing of terrain information from a pop-up dialog into a mode of the new tileset editor (first two hours live-stream). This change turned out to require much more work than I had anticipated and raised some UI questions, so by lunch time it was still far from done.
After lunch, I noticed the server hosting the Tiled snapshot builds for OS X had disappeared (though that server has come back in the meantime). I wasn’t sure since how long it had been gone, but I decided to host these files on the same server hosting the snapshots for Windows instead. So you can now find them at http://update.mapeditor.org/snapshots-osx/.
Then I resumed work on the terrain editing, streaming another two hours. By the end of the day, I was almost done and made some notes on the remaining things to do.
Thursday was a day off and I went to my office for a half-day to finish the above change. It ended up taking all the available time, but I was eventually able to push that change to the
wip/tilesetdocument branch. Here’s how it looks currently:
This week I decided to try working on Tiled on Friday, hoping I may meet some other people to have lunch with and to take care of some things like finding somebody who knows how to adjust the height of the desks. I failed on both accounts, but I’ll try again tomorrow.
One thing I had wanted to do for a long time, was to make archives available as alternative to the installer. Recently this also looks interesting for distribution on itch.io. So I spent the morning enabling the creation of a 7-zip archive containing a runnable Tiled build using the Qbs build system (685c13). I also enabled this on AppVeyor, so the Windows snapshots now include these archives. One problem with the archives is that currently they still contain the default update check, which will actually download the MSI installer and not a newer 7-zip archive. I’ll have to disable this soon. I’d like to extend these archives in the future to enable shipping a Tiled as a Portable App (#366) and to ship binary packages for Linux.
After lunch, I noticed that the Tiled 0.16.0 release for Windows actually did not include the WinSparkle auto-updater, due to a small mistake in the AppVeyor file. Some other fixes and two translation updates had been done as well, so I decided it was time to roll a Tiled 0.16.1 release. This took me the rest of the day unfortunately, where especially the OS X part was time-consuming because the first attempt failed the Sparkle DSA signature check for some reason. To speed up the release process I’ll need to update this wiki page with the latest instructions, which I’ll try to get to soon.
Tomorrow I want to work on some smaller features, like adding a color property type and possibly looking at enabling multi-line editing for string properties. I’ll see tomorrow what else I have time for.
I did notice that the internet connection is very slow on regular working days, probably because the connection isn’t strong enough for the many companies depending on it. I’m not sure if streaming will work. In any case, this is why I’ll probably go back to working on Sundays.
Thanks for following Tiled development!