As I wrote last time, there were some smaller improvements I wanted to get around to. The first thing I did was adding a color type for custom properties. This feature was requested by a long time patron, and it also simply made sense to have it.
The other thing I finally wanted to implement, and which was requested at least a dozen of times, was multi-line property editing. This will make it much easier to have custom properties with values containing lists or short scripts. It works by supporting "
\n" to mean a newline in the Properties view, and providing a "
..." button that opens a multi-line text editor:
In the meantime, I also took some time to accept a pull request that makes the deletion of objects that fall outside the boundaries when resizing a map optional. The checkbox also makes this behavior more visible:
Monday was a national day off and I took half the day to work on Tiled. Recently, somebody had reported an issue with updating the drag cursor when hovering the resize handles, and I wanted to fix it. Unfortunately, the issue stemmed from the way Qt implemented mouse cursors on
QGraphicsItem instances, which does not work nicely when the mouse cursor on the viewport is changed in the meantime. I couldn't think of a fast workaround so the fix became quite involved.
While struggling with that code a bit, I realized several other small behaviors that could use some polishing. Heavy users of object layers will probably quite appreciate the various object selection tool improvements I made the rest of the day.
In the morning I realized the OS X snapshot builds were broken again because of an Xcode update, which always wipes the Sparkle framework that I was copying into its Frameworks directory. Of course, that is not the proper place to put custom frameworks in the first place!
So I struggled with the qmake project for a bit to improve this situation, and with some help on IRC from one of the guys working on Sparkle (Jake Petroules) eventually had it set up so that now Tiled expects the Sparkle framework to sit in
I spent a lot of time working towards enabling a binary package for Linux, and after some follow-up fixes, there's now a generic Linux 64-bit Tiled binary available on itch.io. It can also easily be installed through the itch.io app (which will keep it up to date).
In the meantime, @Ablu worked towards re-enabling the Tiled snapshots for Fedora. I think they're working again now, though I can't test it personally.
At the end of the day I was working on adding a "file reference" type for custom properties, but I didn't manage to finish that yet (it's on the
Reaching My Second Goal
As anybody who may have kept an eye on my progress bar probably noticed, I'm getting really close to my second goal, to work on Tiled two full days/week. This is thanks to ever increasing support received on Patreon, as well as increasing income through itch.io sales (due to which I could reduce my goal on Patreon a second time).
I've been asking my employer about a work time reduction since a while, but currently it is difficult due the deadline of the project I'm on, and the large amount of work remaining. Personally I'd like to spend more time on Tiled as soon as possible, but it may take until August before I can actually do it.
I'll keep you updated and a huge thanks to everybody who is making this possible!
I'll be away for some days for a family gathering, but I will work on Tiled upcoming Monday. My goal is to return to the
wip/tilesetdocument branch and make some progress there, since it is the biggest change coming for Tiled 1.0.
In the meantime, I'm curious to hear your feedback on recent improvements. You can try them out in a snapshot build.
See you next time!