Recently I've started writing posts to the Tiled Devlog on itch.io, and I think this will largely replace this forum thread here. But I still have some catching up to do:
I spend a lot of time setting up a new distribution model for the Tiled snapshots for Windows. They are now also pushed to itch.io along with those for Linux, in a way that makes it easy and efficient (no clicking through an installer) to keep them up to date by using the itch.io app. And snapshots for Windows XP are now available for those who still need them.
Once the snapshots were working and uploaded to itch.io, I wrote my first Devlog post about the New Development Snapshot.
I also made a start on changing the tile collision editor to a dockable view, while doing a 40-minute livestream.
I spent most of this day finishing the dockable tile collision editor, which was still much more work than I had anticipated (and I'm glad I didn't attempt to stream its entire development...).
Finally finished the now docked tile collision editor, and also made a huge amount of fixes in preparation of the 1.0 release. I wrote a new Devlog about the Docked Tile Collision Editor and Many Fixes.
03706a6 Changing the type of a tile now affects all selected tiles
This was the day of the Tiled 1.0 release. In the morning, I managed to still work on a rather large change to restore and improve the behavior when dragging images or tilesets into the Tilesets view.
Then, I pulled all the translations from Weblate, did the Dutch translation update myself and merged Russian translation updates.
Finally it was time to push the
v1.0.0 tag, write the release post and announce the release on the social networks and of course write a Devlog update as well. I'm not good at doing this fast, and I'm afraid to say that it took me until after 4:00 in the night to wrap things up.
Holiday, Visiting Family
Here is when our holiday started, where I was away for 10 days visiting my parents and those of my wife. I had hoped to do more Tiled development during this time, but I pretty much only managed to respond to e-mails, do some reviewing and apply some fixes:
Merged Rename Polygon tool icon names (by @ketanhwr, #1588)
Merged Updated Russian translation (by oktonion, #1590)
Reviewed and Merged Allow setting working directory for custom commands (by @ketanhwr, #1580)
Reviewed and Merged Show output of custom commands in Debug Console (by @ketanhwr, #1593)
Reviewed and Merged Added Autocrop feature (by @ketanhwr, #1574)
- Lua plugin: Fixed group layers being exported with "imagelayer" type (#1595)
- Fixed reset of font size when using font dialog (#1596)
Reviewed and Merged Reusable object templates into
wip/templates (by @thabetx, #1587)
This was the first proper Tiled development day after the holiday. I fixed a large amount of bugs reported after the Tiled 1.0 release. Since you can read about these below I won't mention them here.
Reviewed Added Move selection Feature
- Resolved merge issues on Weblate due to Korean translation being added on both Weblate and GitHub
- Resolved issues with building the Windows installer on AppVeyor
- Released Tiled 1.0.1, with the fixes made yesterday and during my holiday. Published a new Devlog about the release and updated snapshots.
I think the new Devlog feature on itch.io is a much better way of keeping everybody updated on the state of development than these posts. The only thing I'm not sure about how you can subscribe to these posts, but you can follow me on itch.io to get these updates in your itch.io feed. I think it would be cool if it was possible to subscribe to these by e-mail.
itch.io encourages to write a Devlog post each time a new version is published, which provides me with a good push to write a small post every time I update the snapshots. I wrote 4 posts to the Devlog in the time covered by this forum post, and while it doesn't go into as much detail, I think the content is more meaningful.
So, I'm considering to deprecate this topic, since it's not read by many yet considerably more time-consuming than focusing on the actual changes in each pushed update. If this would make you sad, let me know!