Google Summer of Code 2017

(Kalinich Ignat) #70

I think it better to be posted it here. Link. Waiting for your feedback!

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #71

Please allow for reviewing at your Google doc so it is easier to provide feedback. Also, you can now submit your proposal as a draft through the official GSoC channel.

In general, I think you’re being way too short in your descriptions. You must develop a much better idea of what your project is about and describe the various parts of your work in more detail.

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #72

Hey @a.sharganov, I think the main problem with your proposal is that the tasks you have listed in your timeline should be way shorter than you’re estimating. I know time estimations are hard and I personally get them wrong too, but in general I would say you can half the estimated times on most things you selected. Especially your last task, to implement support for saving to a compressed file, should be at most 4 days and not 4 weeks (there is no need to devise an entirely new compressed data format).

Another thing is that I would suggest that if you pick the “General Improvements” project, that you try to select your own list of things that you think would be interesting to work on. You seem to have mostly picked the example list we included on the ideas page, which wasn’t given much thought and does not represent the current priorities for the project. The best project is one you are motivated to do personally.

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #73

Submit Your Proposals

To everybody who is interested to submit a proposal, please submit them early so we have time to provide feedback! Google made draft proposals an official part of the workflow.

It can always take some days until we have time to provide feedback, and then you will still need time to make adjustments, so the two weeks we have until the deadline will be quite short.

And another warning: since we are participating in GSoC for our first time and we have only three mentors, we can expect to get only 1 or 2 slots for students this year! So make your proposal stand out. :slight_smile:

(Artem) #74

Ok, @bjorn . Yeh, actually it is the first time I plan something so long. I try to re-estimate my timeline.

What’s about tasks, they look pretty for me and I thought they are very important for Tiled since you mentioned them as an example, so I include them in proposal. I thought that there is need to devise something :slight_smile:

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #75

I know, next time I will make sure to spend more time on picking the issues listed in example projects!

Them being listed there now in no way means they are standing out in importance over other issues. It’s currently better to judge that yourself based on your own usage experience with Tiled or by browsing the list of issues and looking at what is in popular demand or reading user feedback.

That said, you can adjust your proposal including these issues and adding some more to fill the time, but you’re missing an opportunity to select something that matters to you.

(Yuriy) #76

Do you mean that Tiled will have 1 or 2 slots at all or for each mentor?

(Leon Moctezuma) #77

@Acuion We would love to have beyond 3 students but since it’s our first year at GSoC and the organization is small then the highest amount of students that we might handle at the same time would be three or four but being realistic, we are probably going to get no more than 2 slots.

I would recommend to any student to apply to two or three organizations.

(Ketan Gupta) #78

Ummm, okay :confused:

(Leon Moctezuma) #79

@ketanhwr just focus on making a good proposal for Tiled, I think you are a strong candidate, if I’m not wrong I think you are the student with more PR so far.

(Mohamed Thabet) #80

Hi,
I’m Mohamed Thabet, a fourth year engineering student at Ain Shams University from Egypt.

I’m excited to work on Tiled in GSoC 2017, I’m interested in creating the Object Library and improving users’ workflows .

I’ve made a pull request regarding visibility of object Selection box (#1503).

More about me:

My preferred languages are C++(I’ve solved hundreds of competitive programming problems using it) and Python, I also have some experience with Java, Javascript, Ruby, Haskell and Octave.

I’ve done many college related Qt projects with my classmates, and created with my team a 3-day game in Global Game Jam using Unity.

Although not closely related, I’ve a hobby of digital painting, I have used art software like PaintTool Sai and Krita. I believe that caring about little details and adjusting workflows go a long way.

You can also check my Github (thabetx).

(Mohamed Thabet) #81

Here are some projects we’ve done with Qt (link) (link).

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #82

Welcome @thabetx! I’m sorry that in my excitement I kind of grabbed your PR and fixed up all the feedback I had myself, so I didn’t give you an opportunity to respond to it. I even missed an issue with the updating of the marching ants offset that I pushed a fix for just now.

The Object Library project is probably best covered by issue #70 at the moment. The idea is first of all to save people time by providing a way to quickly insert common objects into a level, but in addition it could allow for changing those objects later on and affecting the instances already placed (which would then need to refer to the original definition in some way). It would be good to do some research on how this could be done in order to write a good proposal.

(Mohamed Thabet) #83

@bjorn no problem :smiley: and thanks for the lead.

I kind of have a picture in my mind about how the result would look like, but as you said, I still need to reason about the code and find an appropriate approach, will share my proposal in the upcoming days.

(Artem) #84

I rethink list of issues that seems me interesting, also reduce time for feature realization, I looked at the code and understood that some part of my timeline was too pessimistic :smile:.

Here is a link. Will be grateful for feedback

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #86

While I may be a little flattered that Tiled is such a great inspiration for you, I am not at all happy with what you’re doing here. Your Fission-Toolkit contains large parts of Tiled source code, which is copyright mostly by me and released under the General Public License (Free Software). However, in copying the source code you have removed the copyright notices as well as the license. So you’re in violation of the following:

2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

I’m going to assume this was unintentional, but you should be careful when copying other people’s source code that you do so in a way that respects the license it was released under. How now should I judge any of the code I see in your other projects, if you are presenting my code as your own proprietary code?

For a) I think it’s alright to simply keep the license comment in each file, adding a copyright line with your name and the year(s) of modification. For b) you need to add appropriate licensing information to your repository.

(Rostislav Stelmach) #87

Hello, you are right, sorry for that!
This repository was private, and I opened a few days ago for GSoC, I just forgot to change the license file/modifications and credit file. I feel bad about this, really sorry. I don’t have to say anything else.

(Logan Spencer) #88

Hello,

I am Logan Spencer, second and half year student from the University of Oklahoma. I am pursuing my degree in Computer Science, and have been programming for over 13 years. I started out in GameMaker when it was first released and my interest has always been Game Design. Shortly after High School I joined the United States military and did 6 years in the armed forces. After the military I went straight to University and that is what I have been doing full time since.

My passion has always been programming and game design. I will not lie, I am fairly new to QT (its super easy and I have kind of fallen in love), but have been using C++ for a very long time. Over the course of only 3 days (part time), I have created my first pull request referencing issue 1492.

I try to be quick and efficient with everything I program. My philosophy is “The best one solution is one solution that solves multiple issues”. Everything I create I try to make flexible and easy to use. I am very meticulous, and careful to be sure everything is problem free, to the best of my ability.

I would love to work on this project full time, though if I do not get accepted to GSoC I will have to work elsewhere :slight_smile: With my strength of being quick and efficient I believe my biggest contribution would be through clearing out the issues list (Though I am not against adding new huge features either). I believe the base of good software is ease of use and functionality. Software can be powerful but limit its user base by being clunky and hard to interact with. I believe it is important to have a strong foundation on the little things to gain mass popularity.

I will save the “rest” for my proposal! Thank you for reading
p.s. My communication skills are unprecedented <<<<---- Important :slight_smile:

(Kalinich Ignat) #89

Hello again,thanks for feedback! I have wrote a more detailed plan of work and allowed review, it’s without time estimation yet. I tried to follow Tiled architecture in my solution. Does it has enough details? Link

(Nashmia Riaz) #90

Hello, all :slight_smile:

My name is Nashmia Riaz & I’m looking forward to submitting my proposal to Tiled for GSoC 2017. I would like to work on “General Improvements” idea given by the Tiled team. Any help on getting started (help documentation regarding the code etc) would be great.

I’m a third year university student majoring in Software Engineering at National University of Science & Technology (NUST), Pakistan. One of the reasons I got into this major was because I wanted to make games as a profession.

C and C++ were the very first couple of languages I was introduced to as a programmer, so I’m very proficient at these. Some of my first projects included making games in C and C++ accompanied by SDL and OpenGL. My recent projects include a silly little game I made in Unity that you can see here, an online resume building website and countless other projects that you can view on my Github.

Besides this, I’m a graphic designer. I believe that presentation and aesthetics are key towards building any program. Therefore, I have a good eye for detail as well.