Development Updates

2017-01-24

I worked most of the day on group layers, but didn’t finish that commit since the change kept getting bigger. I was removing all usages of “layer index” and replacing most of them with a direct layer reference, since working with an index is not going to work when the layers form a hierarchy. I also made a start on changing the LayerModel from a list model to a tree model.

• Added gmx plugin to Specfile (PR #1434)

2017-01-25

I realized the Tiled 0.18.1 upgrade wasn’t working properly on Windows in general, and made an attempt at resolving the situation. It didn’t work out, unfortunately.

2017-01-26

While testing some group layer related functionality, I discovered two additional regressions in Tiled 0.18 and fixed them:

• 4f45b7e Fixed updating of values displayed in Objects and Layers views
  • ee4f898 Fixed crash when deleting multiple selected objects

I think they’re quite serious, so I’ll have to make a Tiled 0.18.2 release sometime soon.

2017-01-30

wip/group-layer

• c0bcca7 Removed most usages of layer index (finished the work I started on the 24th)
  • b4212d8 Added Group Layer and Ungroup Layer actions
  • 5f29613 Added support for group layers in the MapScene

2017-01-31

Google Summer of Code 2017

In the morning I tweaked the application for Tiled to Google Summer of Code and made minor improvements to our GSoC wiki page, started by @leonidax. Wouldn’t it be awesome to make some great contribution to Tiled this summer, with professional game developers lending a hand? We’re trying to make it happen!

wip/group-layer

• 782893a Added support for layer hierarchy to several actions
  • a02c667 Fixed up restoring of previously selected layer
  • 3af6758 Handle layer hierarchy in Offset Map dialog
  • 4d15a49 More adjustment to handle layer hierarchy

At this point, I have realized that adding support for group layers was way more work than I had anticipated. I had expected it to take about 3 full days, but I have now spent almost 5 full days on it and it’s not done yet. It also asks for other features like multi-selection and drag-and-drop for layers, though I will probably merge it and work on some other things before that.

But of course, it’s also going to be a very useful feature for some! Here’s a screenshot showing a little bit of the current state:

3 Likes