First person 2d game?

Hi, I’m trying to figure out how I would go about making a first person 2d game such as Eye of the Beholder or Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2. I was asking around on the Phaser forums and I was told I could use Tiled to make the map for it. I’m honestly really confused and don’t understand how a Tiled map could be used for first person. Does anyone have any ideas if this is possible? It’s looking to be a lot more confusing than I thought it would be.

Using Tiled, you would place down tiles which your game engine would translate into the appropriate “3D” modules (floor, ceiling, walls). The actual modules used by the game would not be previewed in Tiled, Tiled would just be a layout tool in this case, nothing from Tiled would be directly visible in-game.

Edit: if you don’t want to program room modules into your game, you could have six layers in your Tiles map instead (Floor, Ceiling, each of the four walls), and your engine could take the tiles from those layers and build the room out of them. If a room is missing one of more of these (e.g. the North wall layer is empty for that tile), then that means there’s a passage that way, which would allow you to have adjacent rooms that aren’t necessarily connected. Or you can just base the passage stuff on the Floor layer alone and just grab tiles from the other layers as needed (that would probably be easiest from an editing standpoint).

1 Like

Are you planning to use native js?

Sorry for the late response! Thanks so much for your help! This info, along with some conversations I’ve had with other people has really helped me get my head around how to conceptualize this process.

1 Like

Yeah right now I’m thinking of using just JavaScript and phaser.

Just curious, Phaser to solve what parts?

You know, I’m not really sure. I had just been porting a bit of another game I was working on over to phaser so I figured it would be easier to use. But there might not be a lot of benefits from it for this sort of game now that you mention it. I like the preload and create functions in phaser though so I might use it just for that. It’s something I’ll need to look into.

I mean when you say you work on games, how much do you know about doing a 2D in just Javascript? Dot/Cross products, movement, tiling? And what kind of game? Topdown RPG?

This chat’s growing rather off-topic, would y’all mind continuing in PMs so that this thread doesn’t sit at the top of the forum for no reason?

1 Like