Layer Preset option

I’m not sure about anyone else, but I make tons of maps and each map usually gets the same layers. Ground, walls, trees, water, etc.

It should be rather simple, but just make an option to automatically make layers every time you make a new map. Like if you always use 3 layers for every map, and name them the same every time, then when you make a new map, theyre already created.

Its a small suggestion but would be Quality of Life for those of us that repeat the same thing over and over.

Maybe the preset can be saved as a file and you can drag and drop it in similar to how we add Tilesets. That way we can have several presets.

Thanks for reading. I personally love this program and think it already gives a million quality of life features for mappers but you can never stop getting better, huh? :smiley:

It’s a reasonable suggestion, but I think you can already achieve this in the following way:

• Create a map in the desired structure, and save it in some kind of “templates” folder.
  • Open this map each time you need to create a new one.
  • Do a “Save As” as your first action to create your new map file.

There’s also the following request, though that includes locking down the structure of the created map (and possibly adjusting it to changes made to the “template” map, but that gets rather tricky):

https://github.com/bjorn/tiled/issues/1859

Alternatively, the creation a new map could be one of the events you can respond to with a script once Tiled is scriptable (#949). That script could then set up some initial layers and/or tilesets for the new map.

That actually would work. Thanks for suggesting that!

1 Like