Attach a .png to an object

I would love a way to attach a .png to an object. I often have objects that will be rendered on the tilemap and right now they appear in Tiled as a square (being an object). I’d like to be able to attach an image to help me understand what all these things are. They are bigger than a tile, so I can’t use tile images. I can kind of do this with tile layers that are a collection of images, but I’d like to attach the image to an object.

Is there currently a way to do this?

I guess you mean tilesets. Indeed you can do it with an image collection tileset. What is the problem with that?

The issue (as far as I understand it) is that if I put a image from a collection of images on a tile layer, it becomes a “tile” to the layer with a tile ID etc. I can’t give it properties, move it to anything but a snapping to a grid, etc. I can give the base image properties as part of the tileset, but not the individual object (since they are not objects) properties.

I need all the flexibility of objects, but just with an image attach to it.

That’s what “tile objects” are for. Just place the tile as an object on an object layer using the “Insert Tile” tool when having an object layer selected.

Ah, that is the step I was missing. I didn’t make the leap from using normal tile objects to using the collection of images the same way. It’s a little more cumbersome since the tile object just contains the tile id, which I’ll need to then to look up to get the .png, but that’s all a pre-process step.

Thanks! Keep up the amazing work.

That’s true, though on the upside, doing it this way allows you to associate a lot more data with the object than just a reference to a certain image file. Now the object can have a type and properties based on this tile, it can have collision info and it can be animated. Though granted, this is probably not the approach I would take when rethinking the file and data formats from scratch.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

This system works perfectly and was 99% of what I was looking for. The only missing thing that keeps it from being 100% perfect is a offset property that visually offsets the image without moving the position on the map. But I’ll happily take the 99%. :slight_smile:

Right, such a property currently only exists for the tileset, affecting all tiles in the tileset. The following issue is about making this possible per-tile: