Backspace (delete) on Mac doesn't work

Hi, pretty simple really, this key doesn’t work on Mac (the delete key above Enter), need to go to Edit > Delete to use.

Would be nice to have for workflow speed!

Hmm, I can’t reproduce this in Tiled 0.18.2 on OS X 10.11, where both Delete and Back Space keys are working for me. Are you using the latest version?

Note that I don’t have an Apple keyboard though, I have a US-International keyboard attached to it.

I looked into a few other apps that use the delete key and it’s usually abbreviated “del”.

In Tiled it’s a backwards arrow like box with an X in, this sadly isn’t part of OSX keyboards.

I tried a few other combinations, can confirm this is not accessible from the 108 (full) keyboard, the small bluetooth one or macbook keyboards.

Heh, I just realized I’ve looked at the same thing last year:

https://github.com/bjorn/tiled/issues/1296

I’m afraid that without an Apple keyboard I’m not exactly sure what to do here. Is there any chance you could try compiling Tiled yourself, and fiddle around with the delete shortcuts in the mainwindow.cpp?

1 Like

I had a dig around mainwindow.cpp, not really familiar with C++ but MSDN says it’s VK_BACK or KEY_BACKSPACE

In mainwindow.cpp its deleteKeys.prepend(QKeySequence(Qt::Key_Backspace)) so by all accounts should work? Maybe this line can’t be accessed somehow on OSX?

try fn+delete. I’ve been running bootcamp/windows 10 on my mac and this has been killing me for the longest. Finally figured out that delete=backspace and fn+delete=delete. SOLVED it for me.

Hey @Sammy_Blythe, welcome to the Tiled forums and thank you for your input!

I do wonder a little, because the way I wrote the code both Delete and Backspace are supposed to work. Are you saying that essentially only Backspace works? Which action in particular are you triggering?

Hmm, I wonder if this is something that broke in Tiled 1.3 and is related to the configurable keys, which allows only a single shortcut per action.