I want to Automap but Im not sure how to make it work with my organization

I recently learned how to use the automap feature and it will greatly increase the speed of making my maps. However, each map that I make gets its own separate folder. That would mean i have to create a new Rules.tmx and Rules.txt file in every single map’s folder in order to use automap.

If i save all of my maps into a single folder, i can use a single Rules.tmx and Rules.txt file, but i will then have to open every map i made, and re-save it to its corresponding folder later on. Mainly because simply moving the .TMX file to a different location will break the link to the .TSX files, making me reconnect them to the map.

Each project that I do will have at least 100 maps, so this in itself will be very time consuming, just so i can use the automap to ironically save myself time.

My question is, is there any way to still use automapping with my setup? Or am I better off doing everything manually? Any help would be appreciated. Im still new to the automap feature, so i’m sorry if i missed something.

I may have found a workaround that actually speeds up the process. I can make every single map, in one infinite tmx map. Then automap the whole thing and resize it down and save each individual area afterwards.

That’s great, as long as it does not kill your performance.

Alternatively, know that you can include other rule files from within a rules file. So you’d only need to create 100 rules file one-liners that just include your main rules file.

And as another alternative, it would be possible to implement a simple rule file search that goes up to parent directories, like git does when searching for the .git directory. If that would help you I would consider adding it to Tiled 1.2.

That sounds interesting. My workaround is working right now pretty well, i just need to go through all of my tilesets and add the rules now.

As far as searching for the Rules, that would be a pretty cool feature. Basically my organization goes as such:

Mapping>Region>City>City.tmx

So im currently combining 2 of the suggestions you gave me. You told me before i can use a preset map file for all of my layers and tilesets. The preset map is saved in the Mapping folder, where the rules are saved as well. I make the map and save it to the specific folder after its done. That way i can automap without the hassle. :smiley:

1 Like