Independent Tile Properties

Hello!

How can I do ‘independent’ tile properties? What I mean is, in a Tile Layer, I want to add custom properties to the tile itself (the button is grayed out).

I can sort of do the same thing with object layers and tile, but I want to use a Tile Layer as object layers aren’t ‘fixed’ to a tile. (the objects uses x/y coordinates instead of tile coordinates)

Sample usecase: Add a ‘chest’ tile where I add the property ‘sword_001’ (which is read by my script).

(Jonathan Bayle) #2

Hi,

It’s not possible to set properties to a tile in a tile layer.
A workaround is to use an object layer and place a tile object (an object that is a tile) using absolute coordinates.

See: https://doc.mapeditor.org/en/stable/manual/objects/#insert-tile

I was afraid that’d be the case. It’d be great if we could get this, or alternatively, allow tile painting on events. While Tiled Objects work, I much prefer if I could ‘paint’ event tiles and have them be positioned relatively

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #4

Doesn’t enabling “Snap to Grid” in “View -> Snapping” solve this issue for you?

Though note that due to the origin of tile objects being bottom-left, you’ll probably need to do -1 after dividing the object position by the tile size (if you need the tile coordinates in your game).

Thanks! Yup tile snapping sort of solves it, but I think it could still be useful to have it be in a tile layer. One reason is relative positions would allow easy resize of tile maps (though I admit the use case is rare and can be worked around).

One question though - it seems like when using tile object, the tile data Is not exported to json:

{
                 "gid":32,
                 "height":48,
                 "id":8,
                 "name":"DavetownGate",
                 "properties":
                    {
                     "davetown_gate":"tut"
                    },
                 "propertytypes":
                    {
                     "davetown_gate":"string"
                    },
                 "rotation":0,
                 "type":"",
                 "visible":true,
                 "width":48,
                 "x":288,
                 "y":336
                }

This could be potentially useful as to allow parsing of object tiles without adding custom properties

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #6

If you resize a map, Tiled does make sure to move the objects as appropriate as well, but I agree having data on tile layers could make this work better in more cases (like copy/paste of stuff).

Actually the tile data is represented by the gid property. It is a global tile ID, of the same kind you find in tile layer data.

Actually the tile data is represented by the gid property. It is a global tile ID, of the same kind you find in tile layer data.

Funny, I actually came back to this thread to edit that because I realized this! I thought of using it at first, but it returned the wrong tile so I just thought it was a global object id. Then I realized it was zero index and I was good to go!

If you resize a map, Tiled does make sure to move the objects as appropriate as well, but I agree having data on tile layers could make this work better in more cases (like copy/paste of stuff).

Oh nice I didn’t realize this, though that doesn’t seem to be the case when I tried it. To be clear what I did was to edit the tile size (i.e. 48x48 to 24x24). It might be that it only works for map dimension changes and not tile size changes?

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #8

It’s not exactly that, it’s a global tile ID that may refer to a tile in any of the tilesets loaded by the map. It ends up shifted by one compared to the tiles in the first tileset, because global tile ID 0 is taken to mean “no tile”.

Ah, yes, it only works when you change the map dimensions, not the tile size. I guess it could be interesting to support adjusting object positions to a change of tile size, but that is a really quite a rare operation.