Tiled Crashes on startup

Something changed in my program that as soon as it launches, and the little window about becoming a Patreon supporter shows up, the program crashes. Opening debug in Visual Studio shows me this error:

“Unhandled exception at 0x0F53FD0B in tiled.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x07D80000.”

Hmm, that message is unfortunately very unhelpful. Which version of Tiled are you using and was this version working fine before?

You can try:

• Upgrading to the latest stable release (I just released Tiled 1.1.5)

• Clearing the Tiled settings from your registry (in case it has something to do with a preference or a map it tries to open). See the User Preferences page for the location to look for with RegEdit.

Thanks for the quick response!

I was using 1.1.4 when the error occurred, then I updated to 1.1.5 in an attempt to get a “fresh install.”

Deleting the entire registry selection on Tiled did the trick. Thank you!

That’s great! Now of course, we do want to find out what was causing the issue because you may run into it again later on. Please let us know if it ever happens again, and maybe you will be able to say more about how to reproduce it.

Will do! :slight_smile:

I suspect it had something to do with opening my most recent map, but deleting the “open last file” registry option did not fix it, so that might not have been it either. Either way, if it happens again I’ll let you know.

What about the “Hardware accelerated rendering (OpenGL)” option? If you try it and that turns out to be it, you can launch Tiled with “tiled.exe --disable-opengl” from a command window, which turns it off again without having to go into RegEdit.

1 Like