What are the benefits to using an external tileset vs embedded and collection vs tileset Image?

(Jest Array) #1

I’ve read that embedded tilesets are a legacy thing and will be deprecated in future releases. On the other topic of tileSetimages vs collections, collections aren’t sortable atm, only via image order and editing the tsx file.

(魔大农) #2

I think the main benefit of external tilesets is the fact they can be shared between maps. When it comes to a single image versus a collection I believe it’s more of a personal preference. Separate images may also be more convenient as tiles get larger.

(Thorbjørn Lindeijer) #3

Using a collection, it can be easier to add/remove tiles from your tileset and it allows using tiles of different sizes. But indeed, the ability to rearrange and sort/search the tiles in a collection is still missing. Also, I would like to support tiles of different sizes also for tilesheets.

Embedding tilesets may simplify distribution and/or your loading code. As an export option I don’t consider it deprecated, but I see no benefits of using embedded tilesets while editing maps.