I’m trying to get a feel for what’s out there (in terms of game engines / render libraries) and specifically those that are popular with Tiled users. Please post your comment here which engine your are (or have been) using together with Tiled.
To explain: as I’m currently porting TilemapKit to C++ and Cocos2d-x I’m already starting to wonder where to go next - and I keep coming up either empty-handed or confused as to what would be most viable (it’s probably not the most obvious candidates).
Well, let me summarize:
- Unity: already has TMX solutions, using ext. tools with it is a suboptimal workflow, Unity are working on their own tilemap editor (seems to be ortho only for now), and related assets mainly focus on the 3D aspect (ie generate a grid of 3d models/prefabs).
- Unreal: 2D anyone? No? Okay.
- Havok / Project Anarchy: are these still alive? For PA the forum links are broken. Not a good sign.
- LibGDX: It’s a popular game engine written in Java an… (connection lost)
- Andengine: already poked fun at Java, have I not?
- SDL? SFML? Allegro? Maybe as basis for a more integrated engine … no idea how popular and capable they (still) are.
- XNA: I wish …
- Game making tools: too integrated / walled-off.
So, any game engine you throw at me that might seem like a good idea to have TilemapKit support it, don’t hesitate, spit it out!