After lunch, I fixed a bug that caused objects you are still in the process of placing to get included in the saved file when pressing Ctrl+S (#1348).
Then I decided to try implementing a recent suggestion to add a quick action to move the selection to a new layer. It turned out to be a bit more work than I thought so I didn’t manage to finish it before I had to go home.
First of all I finished adding two new actions: “Layer via Cut” and “Layer via Copy”. To make room for them in the Layer menu I grouped them together with the other actions that create new layers in a submenu:
This will certainly look familiar to people using Photoshop.
After lunch I got back to the
wip/tilesetdocument branch. I noticed the Tile Stamps were not working anymore and fixed this. And the TSX format was shown twice when trying to export a tileset. Then I fixed up the “Edit” button below the tileset view, using it to replace the button that opened the tileset properties.
Finally I started a bold change, which is to show all open tilesets in the Tilesets view, rather than just the tilesets currently used by the map. The idea is to get rid of the need for manually managing the list of tilesets used by a map, and rather have Tiled track this automatically. Needless to say this change raises some questions and I didn’t manage to finish it right away.
A long standing issue on Windows is that console output it not visible for graphical applications by default, which affected Tiled as well. I could not simply compile Tiled as console application, because then it would always open a console window. This morning buckle2000 helped me with a solution that allowed console output to appear only when Tiled is launched from a console.
Then I reviewed and accepted a pull request adding a quick way to change the type of a custom property, without having to remove it and then re-add it. This works as long as the current value can be converted to the new type. I’ve extended the new context menu with existing remove and rename actions:
While trying to continue working on the change to display all loaded tilesets in the Tilesets view, I ran into a bug when loading a map that used the same external tileset twice. Which I fixed by making sure no duplicates occur in the list of tilesets used by a map. This was a little involved since it affected code to support replacing one tileset with another. Unfortunately, there was not enough time to finish the Tilesets view change, but I think it’s the right direction so I’ll continue it next time.
This Friday I found with great difficulty some time for writing this update, since I’m leaving on a short holiday with my family. I’m taking off two Tiled development days and expect to resume development 25th and 26th of September.
When I’m back, I’d like to do a small Tiled 0.17.1 release to get out some bug fixes and continue working on the
wip/tilesetdocument branch, which is to eventually be merged into
master before getting to Tiled 1.0.
I want to again thank everybody who is supporting Tiled development! It allows me to be responsive to pull requests, questions and develop small features as well as doing larger changes towards the next Tiled release. Now I’ll be away for a week, but I’m already looking forward to be back!