Changing grid coordinates?

Hello, brand new to Tiled, so sorry if this is covered somewhere, but half an hour of half-assed google searching didn’t come up with an answer.

I’m trying to make a map to be used as an overview map of a game, but the way the coordinates are set up in Tiled makes it a pain in the ass to find the exact coordinates of what goes where.

What I need is to have the grids as shown in the picture below:

tiled_2018-06-21_19-47-32

Is this possible in Tiled at all, or is there a setting I’m not aware off?

[EDIT]

Alright, I managed to write the coordinates as Y:X instead of X:Y, but I hope my question is still clear.

If I understand your board correctly, ignoring 2:1 (which I guess should be 2:2), this mode is indeed not supported by Tiled. You’re essentially wasting half of the memory by only using the indexes in a checkboard pattern. In Tiled each tile position is used, it does not skip indexes.

While a map renderer could be written that rendered only half the tiles, such a mode would also require changes to all tile painting tools since none of them are prepared to work like this.

Another thing that won’t work is for the tile at the origin to be 1:1, since in Tiled that is always 0:0. But that is probably irrelevant.

I guess you could use a plain orthogonal map, configure the grid size such that your tiles connect like they should and then plainly avoid placing any tiles at locations like 1:2 and 2:3, but I imagine this would get cumbersome pretty fast.

My suggestion would be to just use a staggered axis and get along with the somewhat strange coordinates (which can easily be hidden behind a few helper functions). Or, if you have good reason to keep things like this in your engine, to do the conversion into your system while loading the map.

Yeah, my bad, that should indeed be 2:2, I was rather quick to edit the screenshot after a long day at work.

Yeah, this isn’t as relevant, I could always just +1 to every coordinate to make them match, or just keep the top/left rows unused, so this isn’t really an issue. My screenshot shows it starting at 1:1 due to that’s how the game coordinates are. Don’t ask why, I’m not making the map for my own game, so I can’t really do much about it.

Ahahah, yeah. That would be too much hassle to work with.

Yeah, I wouldn’t use a solution like the one in the game I’m making this for does, in my own game(s), but it’s what I have to work with unfortunately. But because of that, I can’t really implement a system that alternates the coordinates upon import, but that is a solution I’ll keep in the back of my head if I ever have to do this for my own games in the future.

Btw, since this isn’t really doable in Tiled at the moment, is there a way to show the coordinates as shown in my screenshot in the OP, without having to do it manually? That way I can create an overlay map with the coordinates so I can use an alternate solution for finding the coordinates needed.

Tiled has no coordinates overlay at the moment.

I don’t think I can help you any further. I understand you’re not the one making the game, but surely you could talk to the person who is working on the game and try to find some way to make it work?

Also what if you can’t get this to work? Does the game already have its own map editor that you could use?

Ah, okay. I can understand the lack of need for an overlay of the grid coordinates in Tiled.

And the game uses an encrypted .xml file for the map itself, which sucks, because that means I can’t just simply export the data off it (it’s a mobile game btw).

To be clear, I’m simply making a fan-made realm map for Final Fantasy XV A New Empire, and I do this for two reasons:

• The in-game map is shit. You can’t zoom out enough to get a good overview of what’s around you.
  • My plan was to use this as practice before I started with making the map for my own game, which is currently in very early development in the Godot 3 engine, as that game is a 2D game with an oblique camera angle (Not to be mistaken with how oblique camera angles work in photography, it’s basically a isometric view, but with front-facing sides as well), so Tiled would be good to use to create the map itself.