Does Tiled allow different sized tiles?

Does Tiled allow different sized tiles within the same .tmx? I would like to create high resolution tiles for the terrain, but smaller tiles for the objects. For example, in this concept-art screenshot, the sand would be a large isometric tile (to minimize the effect of repetition if I used small tiles). The house and trees would be smaller tiles. I need to be able to have different sized tiles within the same environment. Thank you :]

Yes, you could choose ā€œCollection of Imagesā€ when creating your tileset, then you can add individual images to it and they donā€™t need to be the same size.

When I select ā€œCollection of Imagesā€, it doesnā€™t prompt me to select an image. I tried importing ā€œBased on Tileset Imageā€ and then setting the dimensions to the size of my tile image. The problem I run into is I canā€™t place the tiles where I want, it keeps snapping it to a grid. This is my tile:

@derp_derpstein See this: Creating an isometric map - images bigger than tile

When you select ā€˜Collection of imagesā€™ you donā€™t get prompted. Instead, an empty tileset is created for you. Use the + button on the tileset window to add images.

Iā€™m working on a project with the same challenges and I found that the best to do this currently is to use Image Objects, not tiles. The main difference is that in Image Objects the anchor point is at the center-bottom, which makes registration to the grid predictable. Furthermore, you have the option of not snapping to the grid if you donā€™t want that.

Because the default anchor point registration of tiles is at the center of a virtual tile of a size that is the mapā€™s cell size on the lower-left corner of the tile being painted, this makes using images larger than the mapā€™s cell sizes not practical because thereā€™s no correspondence between the tileā€™s intended anchor point. This applies to isometric (and hex) only of course.

Perhaps as a suggestion to @bjorn: although it may be a difficult proposition, perhaps itā€™s possible to modify a tileā€™s anchor point on a per tile basis? This is similar in concept to how we can define collision shapes per-tile. Then the placement of the tile will be according to this anchor point.

And/Or as an alternative (possibly easier?) or convenience feature, we can choose a predefined anchor point, eg upper-left, center-center, center-bottom, center-right, etc.

1 Like

Both are features Iā€™d like to get around to eventually.

For per-tile origin point, I need to get around to merging and completing this pull request:

Thereā€™s the following issue for making the tile anchoring configurable: