How to upgrade old tilemaps?

I have a bunch of old tilemaps (created with Tiled 1.1.4) and upgrading to new versions of tiled unfortunately just eats a bunch of data in my tilemaps. Is it possible to upgrade these maps through some sort of automated process? I would like to use a new version of tiled (and consequently, I think my old maps are not working with Phaser 3) so I can stop using the old one.

Hmm, there should not be any incompatibility leading to loss of data in any version of Tiled. Normally the only way data can get lost is if you create a map with a newer version of Tiled and then open it in an older version, which may not support some of the features you’ve used in the newer version.

So, if something is really getting lost, you probably found a bug. Does this affect Tiled 1.2.5 as well or only the 1.3 Beta? Can you provide me with your maps so that I could reproduce the issue?

Welcome to the forum, btw!

Thank you! You’re right, it works fine when I open it in a newer Tiled, but not the other way around, which makes sense. If I save, does it automatically update the map with the new features? I looked briefly but didn’t see if so, but I can check again when I get back to it. If so, is there an easy way to mass-update everything via the CLI?

That would be very rare. The only case I know about is when you’re using the JSON format, which changed in a backwards-incompatible way in Tiled 1.2. Newer versions of Tiled load the old JSON format fine, but since they save in the new format some things (mostly custom properties, but also tile information) will not be loaded in versions of Tiled before 1.2.

If that change in the format is causing issues with Phaser 3, you can enable the “json1” plugin instead of the “json” plugin, which will save in the format used in Tiled 1.1. But that should be considered a temporary solution until Phaser 3 supports the new format.

You can use the --export-map command-line parameter of Tiled to convert maps from one format to another.

The only case I know about is when you’re using the JSON format, which changed in a backwards-incompatible way in Tiled 1.2. Newer versions of Tiled load the old JSON format fine, but since they save in the new format some things (mostly custom properties, but also tile information) will not be loaded in versions of Tiled before 1.2.

This happens to be the exact situation I’m in! Is there a link I can look at that describes what changed?

If that change in the format is causing issues with Phaser 3

Actually, the problem I have is that they support the new stuff, but my maps are in the old format. Trying to work out the right approach to either update my maps or just shim the changes.

You can look at the changelog in the documentation or the actual changes that were merged. :slight_smile:

Then I guess using the --export-map command-line option would be the way to go. Or just open all your maps in Tiled and trigger the “Save All” action, if it’s not too many.

Thanks for the links and the information!