How to use 256x256 tile as 32x32 without quality loss

Hey guys, I started using tiled recently but I am having a problem. I have some 256x256 tiles and I am having a hard time using them. I tried resizing them to 32x32 or 64x64 but they totally lose their quality when I render them in game.
I also tried using the original tiles but they got divided into over 50 pieces if I scale them to 32 in tiled.
What do you guys think I should do? I would like to render the tiles as 32x32 without much quality loss.
Here’s one of the tiles.

You can’t display a 256x256 image at 32x32 without quality loss, so I’m not entirely sure what you want to achieve. If you just want to render this tile at 32x32, you should get the best quality by pre-scaling it with an image editor, like this:

If this image is not high enough quality, you’ll probably just have to go in and tweak it to your liking.

But to me it really sounds like you’re probably rendering these tiles in your game at a larger size than 32x32, otherwise I don’t understand why they would “totally lose their quality”. In that case, just keep the images at their original size, and choose a 256x256 rather than a 32x32 tile size when creating your map. You can zoom out in Tiled to make your map easier to edit in Tiled, and the game then has the texture at its original quality.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, I noticed that when I render the tmx file, all the tiles are doubled in size for no reason; that is probably the problem. I use libgdx but I am new with both libgdx and tiled is there a way to force it to render the tiles the same way as in tiled? 32x32 each?

That may be an automatic adjustment to screen pixel density. You’d have to consult the libgdx documentation or community about how you’re expected to make sure that it will use higher-resolution textures when scaling up the view like that.

1 Like