I’ve been making sets of tiles, and I use Tiled to test them out. I really appreciate the ability to quickly check the compatibility of my tiles using Tiled. I currently work in 16x16 tiles, and I think this workflow works really well within Tiled, but I would really like to make groups of 4 8x8 tiles like many NES games. If I have a tile with 4 variants per quadrant, I find that I could easily make that 8 8x8 tiles (256 pixels), but if I were to do this in 16x16 tiles I end up with 16 16x16 tiles which is 16x as many pixels.
This isn’t a big deal with a few kinds of tiles, but with multiple palette swaps, it ends up being really messy. I love working with 16x16 tiles, and it makes sense for games and gameplay within those games, but as far as art is concerned it’s pretty difficult. If there’s a solution to this problem, I’d love to know!
I attached an image for a common tileset. There are 13 unique 8x8 tiles that add up to something huge in 16x16 tiles. The 8x8 tiles can fit in only 1 or 2 quadrants (you won’t see an inside or outside corner outside of their particular quadrant, and the straight line pieces will only exist in their row or column). I think I could even get this 8x8 tileset down to 8 tiles if I removed all tiles that could be flipped horizontally.