SKTiled - Tiled parser for SpriteKit/Swift

Good afternoon,

Just a quick announcement that I’ve released a new Tiled parser for Swift/SpriteKit. This began life as an XML parser for a game I worked on, and I’ve been steadily updating it whenever I’ve had down cycles. I’ve decided to clean it up and open-source the project:

https://github.com/mfessenden/SKTiled

The repository has branches for Swift 2.3 & 3 and the included demo project compiles in Xcode 8 with a sample scenes to mess around with. It includes both iOS & macOS versions, reads embedded & external tilesets and all map types (orthogonal, isometric, hexagonal and staggered).

Please feel free to contact me here or on github with questions/comments.

1 Like

Hey Michael, thanks for writing this! I’ve added it to the docs just now while at the same time updating the information about TilemapKit since it still said it was in active development. It may take a bit until I get around to updating the hosted documentation, since I’m not at the PC where I usually do this right now.

One question I have is how is it different from SKTilemap? Just asking since it seems to have the same target audience and implementation language.

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for the link!

I don’t really know much about SKTilemap, I’ve only become aware of it just recently. From the look of it, it’s at a much earlier stage of development and only supports orthogonal tilemaps.

SKTiled supports all map/layer/object types & external tilesets. I focused on creating a flexible protocol to support custom game production pipelines via custom properties in Tiled (ie. we’re setting up pathfinding graphs currently from tileset data). The only major feature I have yet to tackle is decompressing zlib/gzip compressed data as there isn’t currently support (yet) from Apple.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Michael