Tiled becomes non-responsive and causes 100% CPU load

I currently have an issue where I can no longer run Tiled. If I start the program with a previously loaded map, it just becomes unresponsible and causes 100% load on one CPU.

If I then delete this map from my local drive and open up Tiled, the same behavior occurs when creating a new map.

I was able to reproduce this with 1.1.6 and 1.2.

I also re-installed the program multiple times but after uninstalling, there still seem to be some user-specific files left that may cause this issue.

Is there a way to completely wipe all data of tiled to get a fresh installation? If so, where does tiled safe this information (e.g. last loaded map)?
Is there a log file that I could provide for you to better troubleshoot this?

Right now I cannot work with tiled at all since it won’t allow me to start up :frowning: .

What operating system do you run Tiled on? Several people are experiencing performance issues on Mac.
Also the location of the configuration file is probably different per OS.

Do you know if Show Tile Animations is on?

I’m running:
Windows 10 Pro (10.0.17134)
Intel Core i7-8700K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
16 GB RAM

Honestly, this doesn’t look to me like a performance issue but rather some infinite loop that the editor gets stuck in for some reason.

I’m afraid I can’t help you any further. But I expect that to be useful information to anyone who can. :slight_smile:

Would you by any chance be able to provide the map that causes the infinite loop?

In the manual you can find where the settings are stored. On Windows you can use regedit.exe to clear HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\mapeditor.org\Tiled. But please don’t forget to note down the path of the maps it may be trying to reopen, since it can really help to get this issue fixed.

Btw, what may be easier, is to open any existing map file that doesn’t cause this problem from the Explorer (or the command-line). If you open a map that way, Tiled does not open any maps you may have had open the last time.

Thank you for your response and for pointing me towards these registry keys. I think that it should be an option to wipe these keys during the uninstallation process.

The strange thing is: I can’t even open any other maps from the explorer anymore. Since this issue first occured I’m not able to start the application properly anymore.
When I remove the map from the hard drive, I can choose to create a new map after an error message that tells me that the file is no longer existing but then the same issue occurs.

I’m not even sure anymore if this map even caused the issue or if it is some other setting.
I’ve exported my registry keys and also the map for which this issue originally occured, including the external tileset. It is a fairly simple one since I used this map to write unit tests for the LITIengine.
Since I cannot upload to this forum, I’ve provided the data here: https://ufile.io/dtyrd

Solution:
I’ve uninstalled Tiled once again and deleted all the registry keys from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\mapeditor.org and now I’m able to run tiled again. I can also open the map for which the issue originally occurred which leads me to believe that there is some information stored in the registry that causes the issue.

Could it be that you enabled hardware accelerated rendering in the Preferences? It is known to cause crashes, but maybe it can also cause hanging. If enabling it causes the issue to re-appear, then you can disable it by starting Tiled from the command-line with --disabled-opengl.

I’ve just tested that with the map for which that issue occured in the first place and also some other maps and it seems to work just fine.

2 Likes

Alright, thanks for testing. Unfortunately I have no other ideas at the moment as to what may have caused this problem. If you find out anything more please let us know!