Tips on using 16x16 RPGMaker tiles for a 32x32 SRPG

I’m not new to programming, but new to game programming. I’m using pygame to build a 2D orthogonal strategy RPG along the lines of Shining Force. A few days ago I found some beautiful, free tiles for VX RPGMaker. At first I thought they were 32x32 and was ecstatic, but then realized the only way they can work is if they are 16x16.

This has an advantage of being able to make more detailed maps, but I’m running into two problems.

1 - and I don’t think there’s anything that can be done about this, the terrain builder doesn’t seem to like terrains being defined by a set of 16 tiles (4x4) and prefers 9 (plus inside corners). Is there any way around this or do I just take the good with the bad?

2 - Is there a way I can build a map that will be based on 16x16 map/graphics tiles that resolve to 32x32 gameplay tiles? Being and SRPG I would like each game tile to have a particular terrain type (to determine movement and such).

Perhaps this isn’t something I would even do in Tiled, or I’m overthinking it. Or just need to learn more about design. :wink:

But I would appreciate any advice .

Well that is currently a limitation of the terrain tool. Maybe you can use Automapping
for speeding up your workflow.

Not sure what you mean here… You can of course place 16x16 tiles. For setting terrain types you can use tile properties probably. But not sure what the real question is here.

Regards,
Ablu

My apologies. I’ll try to clear it up.

I would like to build the map/graphics with 16x16 tiles. But during battle, characters will occupy 32x32 squares. Each of these squares will have a single terrain type or at the very least, a movement cost. So things like spell ranges and coverage areas, movement and pathfinding will be based on a grid that uses squares twice as large as the tiles I’m using to build the map. Otherwise I could just use tile properties and leave it at that.

Is this something I’ll have to compensate for in code? I was considering the idea of just calculating movement cost during map loading as a 2D array, where the calculation for each 32x32 square involves each of the four 16x16 tiles contained within it, then just making that array a property of the map data.

But if there was a way to do this in Tiled, I would be interested to know.

Thanks!

I don’t understand this question since in fact if you have two terrain types, all possible transition variations account for 16 tiles (given there are 4 corners that may each be either terrain). Where does the 9 plus inside corners come from?

Not at the moment. You pick your tile size for the map and that’s what Tiled will work with. If you want to treat the tile size differently in the game logic, that’s up to you.

The RPG Maker VX map editor basically uses the tiles as 32x32, but it has special logic for the terrains. With the terrains it is making combinations that are in Tiled only possible when using the tiles as 16x16.

First, thank you for your patience. I am new to this and watching videos and reading documentation but come across questions I would probably be able to answer with more experience.

I have a couple of screenshots of the tiles I’m working with and the effects that occur. Perhaps there’s an easy answer to my question.

In the Terrain Editor, I selected the tiles as such for a grass to water transition, which is different than the 3x3 and 2x2 grid I saw in the video and other documentation. As you can see, there are 16 tiles plus 4 more.

Using this terrain produces this effect. Notice the misplaced tiles. I think I’m probably just not understanding the Terrain tool.

And thank you for the answer about using different tile size in the game logic than for the map. I’m fine with that, but just wanted confirmation that there wasn’t some easy way I didn’t know of in Tiled.

Actually, I think you’ll want to use 32x32 tiles in Tiled as well, and try using Remex to expand those terrain tiles to a set of 32x32 tiles that will work nicely with Tiled’s terrain tool.

It won’t work properly at 16x16 as you’ve noticed, because there’s a special way in which these tiles need to be cut apart and recombined to get the full set of possibilities at 32x32. The Remex tool should do exactly that.

Hi there,

I don’t want to be the party pooper here, but you should try to find other assets than the ones from RPG-Maker, if you decide to create a game withouth RPG-Maker.
Look at this thread at OpenGameArt forums: http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/rpg-maker-license

I also like these assets, because there are tons of them all over the internet and yes they’re looking really cool!
But I retracted from using them when I read much about licensing concerns even of the forked works.

Sorry for not helping you out with your initial question, but I just want to help out to prevent legal issues with your project.

Best regards,
Christian

Hey Christian,

While this warning does apply in general, to be sure the license of the package the graphics are from should be checked. For example, if you obtained the graphics as part of the Humble Game Making Bundle, the license coming with the assets should allow use of the graphics with any engine. See:

Cheers,
Bjørn

Couldn’t you simply use a graphics editor to resize the tileset to 2x then import that?

Remex should work well enough but you won’t be able to actually use the terrain tool as already mentioned. It creates all of the 32x combinations possible from the 16x subtiles (perhaps the best way to describe it, RPGM Tiles are 32x based on 16x subtiles). The greater number of tiles allows creation of wider array of display potential, but at the cost of needing to be even width based at all times (2 blocks of 16x = 32x).
My personal issue with Remex created tiles versus the RPGM format is in the inability to use the terrain tool, and the automap rule requires the entire map to be filled with some tile first. I’ve also had issues where the walls will sometimes not full map on occasion but I believe that may be related to some of the tiles in use, and the speed I was trying to draw at. The ruleset created also treats tiles as follows even though not quite correct, 1==9, 2==C, 5==L, 6==O as per my tileset and the Remex output from below this results in a number of mismatches on some RPGM sets.

negative on simply resizing. Tiled Terrain Tool is based around a 2x2 + 3x3 tile system, and RPGM sets are based around a 2x2 + 2x2 + 4x4 tile system (oversimplification but should work well enough as an explanation).

Consider the above example.
Let’s call that example UglyWall and UglyFloor.
Now consider the following an ugly floor 32x tile properly laid out is:
e,f
i,j

Tiled will allow any of the following while tiling which would be a distraction and an error because of the above differences in formatting:
e,j
e,i
i,f
i,e
f,i
f,j
j,e
j,f

In theory it may be possible to create a ruleset that would work with the 16x tiles such that it would work with the Terrain system and correctly align everything given one of the following:
The ruleset would need to be biased so that errors for odd width/height rooms/areas are always biased to one of the 4 corners as valid and the diagonal opposite corner would be the point of error/artifacts. This would produce minimal artifacts.
OR
The ruleset was designed to trim the rooms to be even widths+heights and either delete or set the appropriate tile to a blank tile while repairing the wall/border.

Yes, Ugly up there is one I am using to try and work out my own preferred rule system for RPGM format tiles. So many have had the Any Game Engine license recently through Humble Bundle sales that I’ve a rather large usable RPGM asset collection for other engines now.

Ideally I’d like rulesets to cover both options, a blank area between that has even width/height rooms (remex styled) or to be able to use all grid points on the map and just have the bias be towards one corner of each room for where rooms have an odd width/height.

FWIW, this is the output from remex for that tileset as an expanded tile set:

One thing to note, is that for some RPGM tilesets, some of those tiles are less than visually appealing, or are actually invalid but the ruleset from Remex handles that mostly. That is why Ugly here has that top corner wider walled to match some tile sets and how they break as well as all those yellow matching lines (it is how I am judging/tweaking the errors in my rules).

You’ll have to use Remex to create the matched ruleset as new users can’t upload attachments just images.

jdoolin,

You have a mistake in your selection there.
On the second 4 tiles your inner circle should also be selected and the outer 4 corners as single items should be unselected. It should look like a little blue cross on those 4.

You can avoid the errors on some tile sets by not selecting the items from the first 4 tiles (1,2,5,6). I have them selected in mine as I already have a rule that compensates for the fact they do not match normally/correctly on many RPGM sets to the lower set and are in fact really for spot placement as seen.
See the below image of how I’ve selected for the terrain on Ugly from above:

1 Like

Ah, that’s good to know. I knew it was using the automapping system instead of relying on the terrain tool, but I wasn’t aware that it generated more tiles than are usable by the terrain tool.

Wow, I’d like to thank everyone here for the information so far. I think this is going to help me learn how the Terrain tool is actually working.

As far as the rights to use the tiles go, I was under the impression that what I was getting was fine to use, but I’ve gone back and I’m not really sure. So I may not use them, at least not for any final product. If anybody has any ideas other than open game art for where I could legally obtain 2D assets (even those with modest costs) I’d be interested.

I looked at that Humble Bundle site but I wasn’t seeing how one acquires game assets there, just games.

I’ll also see what I can do with Remex (once I get it installed… with PIL being deprecated it doesn’t look like I can use any package managers to conveniently install it).

Thanks so much for the replies. I’ll update once I make some headway.

As to Humble Bundle, from spring through summer they had a few bundles to feature Game Making Assets and the applications Gamemaker and RPG Maker VX Ace, and once or twice last year. Those are where a vast majority of the ones I have available come from that have licensing able to be used with other game engines besides RPGMaker.