Creating a 'template' for tiles

I am curious if Tiled properties can be “templated” that way for like everytime i place an object down I don’t have to create the properties. Perhaps I could build even a tile set of “Gizmos” and bake these properties in, that way I just drop the object and am done. I understand I could build one object, and duplicate it after I set the properties, just curious if there is a faster way for speeding up my work flow.

Also while im asking, is there a way to have the object layer polygons “Snap to” ? I need to do hunting and am new here but just throwing this out there…

Hello,

you cannot create template properties at the moment. However you can now (since the 0.11.0 i think) edit multiple properties at the same time. So you could first place all your objects, then select them all and set the properties. This might save some time for your.

About the second thing:
You can enable snap to grid for objects. Either go to View -> Snap to (Fine) Grid or hold the Ctrl key while moving/creating/resizing them.

Regards,
Ablu

Right, actually editing the properties of multiple objects at the same time as available since 0.10, so in the current stable release.

While snap to grid is available, what is still missing is snapping to existing objects or polygon points.

Finally, the request for template objects or an object library is a frequent one so it would be nice to add this at some point. This is covered by the following issues:

Eh… right… We are at 0.10 not 0.11. Sorry messed that up.

Object templates are now supported thanks to @thabetx:

I dont understand templates

the doc says it 's supposed to create templates from objects (what’s the purpose ?) but it clearly show create a template from a cactus tileset…

any how templates did not work for me

once again tiled interface is way confusing and right click never show me any “create template” option

Indeed the docs show how to create a template from an object. The purpose is to make it easy to place multiple copies of the same object. When you just want to place a tile, then you can skip the part about making a template because placing tiles is already easy enough. But if you want to set a bunch of properties on each instance, then you can do this once and create a template to instantiate instead.

Did you read the note in blue in the documentation? The “Save As Template” action will not show up for tile objects that refer to a tile from a tileset that is embedded in the map file. When you want to create templates from tile objects, then you should not choose “Embed in map” when creating the tileset (this option is off by default).

I would love to see an option where I can use templates, but when placed on the map they are turned into untemplated objects. Parsing the templated objects at run/compile time is cumbersome (or at least too cumbersome for me). Right now, I place them and immediately turn them into normal objects, but sometimes forget.

Yeah, the plan is to add a feature where you can have templates get automatically detached for export: