I thought it would be fun to share my tiled reversion of the above mentioned Gameboy whip cracking adventure. After creating the photoshop scene It only took about 4-5 hours getting everything into tiled. A lot of that time was deciding how I wanted to organize the project.
Some notable features I took advantage of:
Relinking lost files: Some names had to be changed, and some palettes I removed. Previously I felt terrified if I renamed or lost a file, I’d have to crack open the text and spend a great deal of time researching and attempting to fix. Often it was faster just start over and recreate a scene. I’m very thankful for this feature.
- Suggestion: Add another option when resource is lost - Remove Tile map.
Object manipulation: I used object manipulation for a number of aspects including shading and projectile sprites. These are very valuable in placing gradients to quickly add depth to a scene.
- I had some confusion as it felt like I was selecting objects of unselected layers. To bypass this I would hide the object layer I felt I might be unintentionally grabbing from. I’m still new to object manipulation so perhaps I was using the feature incorrectly.
- Suggestion: When exporting an image I would request an option to only export the tile canvas (inside the mech) I placed some shading objects that bled off the working mesh and the resulting image exports modified the size to include these assets. I manually cropped the export of the image to regain it’s canvas size, but I could see it being very handy to add the option.
Mirroring/Rotating: I used a considerable amount of mirroring and rotating that saved a great deal of time, and made for enjoyable reuse of assets.
original scene for reference.
Thanks for taking a look. Thought it would be fun to share a little