Iso Terrain with Multiple Edge-types? Also, how to do Oversized Tiles?

Newbie here. I love using Tiled for Isometric work, but I’m struggling to set up Terrain the way I want to use it.

1. I’d like to be able to create a Terrain that uses the same central tile, but can handle multiple different Edges Types that can be painted in without creating new boundaries. In this example, there’s concave, flat, and convex diagonal edges that I’d like to connect seemlessly to the same central tile and flat/cardinal edges. I can think of ways to fake some of this using lots of redundant sprites, but it’ll still create seams. I’m hoping there’s a better way to do it?

2. Is there any way to set up Isometric Tiles with margins or spacing that can be used to make Oversized Tiles? The isolated top-right tile, in this example, gets it’s corners cut off when I tried to use the margins for extra sprite room. I could maybe accomplish the same thing with extra tiles for the “oversized” area, but I was hoping I could use margins to implement single sprites that would extend past the Tile Grid when placed.

Is what I’m trying to do possible?

Link: Here’s the raw Tile Atlas, if it helps!

While multiple tiles using the same base terrain configuration are supported, Tiled will currently choose randomly between those tiles.

A more serious problem with using these tiles, is that the terrain type at the corners is not well defined. The current terrain tool is based on the tile corners, with the transition between different terrain types happening on the tile. This is why you can see it trying to use a concave corner to make a transition where it makes no sense.

Right now I’m not sure what would be the best approach in this scenario. It looks to me like you’d need a terrain tool based on the sides of a tile rather than the corners, as well as some way to select the type of corners you’d like it to use. It may be possible to implement such a custom tool once I got around to making Tiled scriptable.

You can’t use the margins or spacing for that, which are meant to specify space on the tileset between the tiles that is not part of the tile. But it will work if you just specify your tile size as 40x40 and leaving margin and spacing on 0. You can then set a -4,4 drawing offset on the tileset to make sure the tiles are still nicely aligned to the grid.