Tile Stamps disappeared

I had a square tiles based map with a lot of pain-stakingly built Tile Stamps from individual image files. When I started a hex map I wanted a different set of Tile Stamps that are hex based. I thought Tile Stamps were saved in the .tmx file, but when I removed the square stamps they disappeared from all of my maps.

Is there any way I can restore them? I do very good backups of my machine, so there’s a good chance whatever file they’re in can be recovered, but I can’t figure out what/where that file is.

Help!

Ouch, I’m sorry to hear this! Indeed the tile stamps are stored globally instead of in the map, since the assumption is that they will be useful on many maps. For separating stamps of different kinds of maps, you can use multiple tile stamps folders.

Now, deleting the stamps does in fact delete their files and without backup there is no way to recover from that. The location depends on your operating system. On Windows, the default location is:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Tiled\stamps

I thought it would be something like that, and searched for *Tile* in my profile directories, but didn’t find anything. When I look in the Roaming directory:

C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Roaming

I don’t see a “Tiled” directory. Is there somewhere else it might be? You mentioned the default location is the above; is there another place it might be? It must be somewhere, as the state of my stamps are definitely being saved. :slight_smile:

Hmm, the way to browse to the folder of your current list of tile stamps, is to click on the little “Set Stamps Folder” button in the bottom-right of the tile stamps view. This should open a standard directory choosing dialog, from where you can generally copy the path. Please let me know where your stamps ended up, maybe I got the default path wrong.

Okay. I pressed that button and it showed a standard dialog asking for a directory. It didn’t pre-populate the directory with the current one. It showed the current directory, or the directory I started Tiled from, not sure which.

I was able to determine the file extension, .stamp (obviously!) When I searched for that I found them in the directory from which I very first launched Tiled. I’m going to move them to somewhere a little more general. I don’t know why it didn’t start with the default directory you identified.

Thanks for your help, and keep up the fantastic work!

• Adam

Hmm, I have no idea how that can happen. :-/

I similarly don’t understand how they can have ended up in the directory from which you launched Tiled… it’s not really under my control since I’m using QStandardPaths::writableLocation(QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation) and appending “/stamps”, and AppDataLocation is documented as “On the Windows operating system, this returns the roaming path.”

Anyway, I’m glad to hear you were able to locate your files!