Tiled (about-tiled-logo.png) - NEW

This is not a request for new resources for Tiled. :smiley: :sweat_smile:

Itā€™s just the suggestion of a new logo for the file ā€˜about-tiled-logo.pngā€™.

The image below shows a suggestion, among other options Iā€™m editing ā€¦

Why are you suggesting a replacement? Iā€™m quite happy with the current image, though I still plan to improve it a little based on the cleaner image used on the website.

I think your suggestion is not bad, but I donā€™t really see it as an improvement over what is there currently. I do like the sketchy look as well as that it is not in perspective.

Just for reference the current version:

And Iā€™d probably go with this cleaner version instead:

1 Like

I just did a quick-and-dirty experiment combining these two ideas:

Steps:

• remove as much shadow as I cleanly could, since it would be on a different plane from the lettering
  • reverse perspective transform (ā€˜correctiveā€™ mode in gimp persp tool)
  • plot some fading grid lines

Conclusions:

• Not in perspective is definitely easier to read.
  • Lighter font is, too
  • fading grid lines donā€™t work that well in this particular design.

I also made a few variants, mainly of the T, even more quick+dirty, using GMIC filters, might inspire some ideas:

1 Like

@finticemo Thanks for your experiments! I think the main thing it demonstrated to me is that the perspective on the cleaner version is probably a little off, which shows in your straightened up version. I did also like to see what the filters did though.

But I want to note that I donā€™t currently see a need to change the Tiled logo. It has looked roughly this way since I originally drew it back in 2004 for the Java-based version of Tiled:

Of course, if we get to a ā€œTiled 2ā€ kind of thing it may be time for something new, but I think the current one will do fine for Tiled 1.x.

1 Like

TBH I like that version better, as the non-perspective ā€˜iledā€™ is much easier to read and the T is in isometric rather than perspective.

If we get to a ā€˜Tiled 2ā€™ sort of thing, I would definitely hope that the text is not in perspective, as I strongly feel that it simply isnā€™t comfortably readable in perspective.